My photo
London, United Kingdom
I am Professor of Computer Science and Director of Teaching Quality in Birkbeck’s Department of Computer Science and Information Systems, and Co-Director of the Birkbeck Knowledge Lab. I am Fellow of the Advance HE, and Member of the EPSRC College, UK. I hold BEng/MEng and Dr. Eng (University of Patras, Greece) and PGCE(HE) (Brunel University, UK). Before becoming an academic, I held R&D positions in the cement and automotive industries designing fuzzy and neural components for embedded systems. My team designs and develops innovative learning algorithms and system components that employ machine learning and deep networks, sometimes combined with symbolic AI, for psychophysiological data modelling and classification, and intelligent learning environments. The aim is to enable systems to exhibit different levels of intelligence, learn from data and transfer knowledge to new contexts. Our work has received best paper awards by the IEEE (2000 and 2008), the European Network on Intelligent Technologies for Smart Adaptive Systems (2001 and 2004), the International Association for Development of the Information Society (2006), the ACM (2009) and KES International (2010).

25 May 2014

SETN 2014 keynote and honorary membership of the EETN

I was keynote speaker at the 8th Hellenic Conference on Artificial Intelligence (SETN'14), which was held in Ioannina, Greece, in May 2014. My talk entitled "Making educational software more reactive to users: how AI can help" presented externally-funded research on the design and development of intelligent components for interactive learning environments. At the same meeting, I received honorary member status of the Hellenic Artificial Intelligence Society .